In too many ways to count, Rihanna is the ultimate symbol of goals. From her decision to powerfully reclaim her body to launching her own record-breaking beauty line, she’s on a mission for greatness and we’re here to celebrate her. But like all fierce women, mindfulness and relaxation is a crucial portion of the creative process. Everyone needs a girls night to recharge and we want to imagine what RiRi’s would look like. We think that Rihanna’s ideal girls’ night in would likely be filled with good music, tasty snacks, maybe a fun movie, and potentially cannabis. After years of misinformation, we now that safe and informed cannabis use can yield a wide range of positive benefits like relieving chronic pain, stopping muscle spasms and increasing appetite.
The Grammy award-winner is no stranger to indulging in a little THC-assisted relaxation and is a proud advocate. We’d like to think Riri likes indulging in the indica strain when she’s taking a break from her busy schedule and kicking back with her girl squad. Indica strains are more likely to create a body-focused high which can produce physically sedative effects, while sativa strains produce a more uplifting head high with distinct cerebral effects, which can have effects of productivity and/or anxiousness. Before using any types of cannabis, it’s a good idea to find the strain that best suits to your mood, the time of day, and your environment.
In Canada, marijuana can now be purchased from LPs (which stands for licensed producers), for those who hold a government-issued medicinal marijuana licence. If smoking isn’t your thing, there are a variety of other options for ingesting cannabis. For example, THC oil and alcohol-based tinctures can now also be purchased online from LPs. They can be added to most foods, and easy application droppers allow consumers to dose a little magic onto any food. With pending legislation and the legal framework around cannabis consumption changing for the better, soon these products will be easily accessible to anyone of legal age. This means that super soon you can easily have your cake (and consume it too).
A simple, fizzy THC drink is a super easy way to start off. To get a sweet and salty vibe going, guacamole and chips are a duo to be reckoned with. You can easily turn your favourite guacamole recipe into an edible. Everyone knows that every girls’ night ends with popcorn and a movie. You can make your own medicated popcorn by tossing it with some butter that you mixed a few drops of THC oil into.
Mellow Mango Drink:
- Pour mango nectar — over ice with a bit of room
- Topped up with club soda
- 2-3 mint leaves, ripped up
- squeeze of lime
- 1-2 drops** (depending on the concentration) of alcohol-based THC tincture.
Holy Guacamole and Chips:
- Prepare as per your usual recipe, but when mashing the avocados incorporate a few drops of THC tincture.
- Make sure to mix it in well for even dosing distribution.
- Serve with tortilla chips and salsa.
Bad Gyal Popcorn:
- Prepare your go-to popcorn, microwave or stovetop.
- Melt some butter or coconut oil.
- Add a few drops of THC tincture.
- Mix well.
- Toss popcorn in butter and serve.
An edible high will still give you the munchies, so make sure you’ve planned ahead and pre-made some dessert. Have unmedicated sweets on standby because at this point you won’t be needing anymore edibles. Get cozy with some throw blankets, and watch one of Rihanna’s favourite movies. Napoleon Dynamite would be a good choice if you are still feeling some girl talk in one of the many silent shots during the movie. Remember, if you’re hosting this girls night make sure all of your medicated guests do not drive and have a place to stay.
Tips and Tricks for homemade edibles:
- A big portion of having a good time starts with selecting the right weed. The higher the THC% the less you need.
- The right soluble is everything. It is important for your soluble to have a high fat content, as THC molecules dissolve into fat molecules easily, making the extraction process more potent and economical. If using unsalted butter, you might want to splurge on organic. Vegan? Try coconut oil.
- Decarboxylate your bud – grind and then gently heat in oven on low (200) for ~30 mins. Be aware, this will dank up your house but the heat will activate the THC in your cannabis and allow it to better infuse your soluble.
- Remember, low and slow. It’s important to keep in mind that you don’t want to burn your bud.
- Strain with cheesecloth. You can get it at the the dollar store and will help to remove plant matter/chewy bits. Squeeze to get all of the goodness out.
- Choose the right recipe to use in your special butter: spread on some toast or a muffin for something quick and easy, for lighter dosing make a baked good with less butter OR if you love buttery brownies but want to start slow, use mostly unmedicated butter and substitute the rest with a bit of medicated butter.
- Now that you’ve done the intimidating task of preparing your own edibles, prepare to enjoy!